Friday, February 18, 2011

A.M.E. ZION WEEK in Kobedi Schools

A.M.E. Zion Schools in Kobedi had a special week to celebrate Christianity on 20th to 23rd Oct 2010. Mr.Oppong, a teacher in Kobedi Primary School, gave me a call in advance and invited me to the program. Who can believe this chance that all the programs are related to my activity? Teachers and I discussed and readied for the program.

   We gave a class of environmental education to pupils in Upper Primary in the previous day in order that the program of the first day 20th was for environmental issue. I would like to state the details in the following. It was most successful and wonderful class I have ever had in Ghana!

   The first day was for exercises of environmental program. Unfortunately it was rainy so hard in the morning so that the program had delayed and we could not make the town cleaning efficiently. We just swept the schoolyard of Primary School and Kindergarten. Mr.Oppong chose some students and we moved to the field in J.H.S to make nursery. We made nursery bed, sowed seeds in soil, and covered top with leaves of palm tree. Before sowing, I gathered pupils together and reviewed what we learnt yesterday. Mr.Oppong who invited me and got started, helped me and translated and explained in local language very well.

   The second day, we had health program. All the pupils from KG to JHS carried the sets of desk and chairs from classrooms to a schoolyard of PS (Primary). One lady, a kindergarten teacher, gave a lecture to all the pupils. She mainly talked about personal hygiene. ‘Did you bath in this morning? Put your hand to your pit! And smell it! Raise your hand if it smells something bad!’ she explained and gestured to let even kindergarten kids understand it. ‘Wash your body everyday! Especially your private part after urinate or toilet! Like this!’ Pupils were laughing all the time and seemed to enjoy listening. ‘Wash your clothes and underwear with OMO (a cleaner), ok? And dry them in the sun like this. You can buy OMO in 20psw in a shop. Ask your mother! Tell her that teacher told you to do so in the school!’ I was very impressed. She taught wisdom of life, and sent messages to their parents. Education in school was structured to home, a place of informal education. After her lecture, I btought the soap, which made in community by mothers who also have children like them. I donated some soap and Mr.Oppong helped to translate and explain. We told them to wash hands before and after eating. Then, we practiced at once after the meal, with the bowls filled by water, and brought soap… but suddenly a schoolyard was turned into chaos. Everybody wanted to wash his hands. But materials were not sufficient; they did not know how to make a line to wait… but here again, I was moved because JHS pupils took KG pupils’ hands and let them wash hands, though chaos never stopped.

   The third day, we had sports program. I represented the donation of volleyballs and footballs in reception ceremony. We invited chives, PTA (Parents and Teachers Association), SMC (School Management Committee) and other parents in Kobedi. Most of the Kobedi GB members have some roles in community management. After opening prayer, I gave a presentation. ‘I work together with your parents to protect the forest near Kobedi. That is why I am here. I hope you remember what we learnt yesterday. To protect forest is to keep our life!’ I wanted to introduce pupils what their parents contribute to environmental preservation. I wanted to share their achievements with children. They are our future generation. To involve all the stakeholders is most practical and sustainable way to develop community. ‘So if you are glad to have these balls from Japan, lets say thank you to your parents as well as Japanese supporters!’ Needless to say, family bond is stronger than Japan. But I wanted to invite parents to school and get them interested in education in school and school management. I wanted to express appreciation for parents to come to the school. I hope I could fill a role of it somewhat. Finally they went into main event. Pupils, teachers, everybody played balls! Kobedi schools had won in the last sports competition in the area, so they were awarded jerseys. Some wore them, some enjoyed with school uniforms, some played with sandals, some with bare foots. But those did not matter at all. They had just enjoyed what they had and what they were at that moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment