Monday, February 21, 2011

AFRUS GIRLS-soap making women group in Afrasu, Sunyani Ghana-


 Afrasu Women Group has evolved new stage this month. We have done the 5th production of Moringa soap and packaged with water sachets. Then, we repaired the tools in Chiraa and purchased chemicals in Sunyani.

   We produced Moringa soap on 8th Mon and packaged with water sachets on 10th Wed. But this time I just observed part of production and packaging, because they managed by themselves almost all the processes. When I reached to Afrasu, they almost finished all the work of producing soap because they prefered to do it early in the morning. But packaging is most difficult but eager work for them, so they used to work it with me and I gave some advices for good appearance. 

   This time, when we produced soap, I told them that they collect pure water sachets in Chiraa, nearest town, because they did not have enough stock and they did not consume in their community. On the other day to package, it was rather amazing that they had already wrapped soap with the rest of water sachets they had! And I added some sachets and we continued. Then one boy, a son of a group member, came back from school in Chiraa with plenty of water sachets. I was deeply impressed their initiative and challenging mind.
   The next day, I took wooden box (frames to set soap) to carpenter in Chiraa to copy some so that we can produce plenty soap at one time. There was a choice to let them go and do by themselves, but I undertook their request because they had always accepted my requests and thought seriously how they expand production in many ways.

   On 30th Tuesday Nov, two women of the group came dawn to Chiraa to buy sundry goods in Chiraa Tuesday Market and chemicals for soap in Sunyani Old Market. When I reached in Chiraa, they were sitting in small boutique, which my host sister Juliet manages, sells moringa soap they produce, and provides purewater sachets for them in reasonable price. I found there was wooden cutting board beside them!, which they complained for a long time that the strings have been spoiled so that they couldn’t cut soap properly. 
   We ordered carpenters in Chiraa to repair, which is introduced by Juliet and went ahead to Sunyani.

    First, we went to Eusbett Hotel to see how the soap is sold in the shop. We greeted shop manager and he told us to stock more, which seemed to encourage them. Next, we met NGO man, Mr.Akurugu who transports the soap to JICA craft shop every month. And he took us another carpenter in Sunyani, which made the cutting board, which we left in carpenter of Chiraa, in Project days and the owner gave us the strings we needed. I appreciated Ghanaian hospitality. 
   Then we went his office.He explained about his environmental NGO and how it will collaborate with community. Finally, we went to Sunyani Old Market and bought some chemicals. One woman bought them personally for the individual soap making. We came back to Chiraa and they prepared almost all the sundry goods such as seasonings, foods, cigarettes, clothes, and so on. Finally we visited the carpenter and they repaired the cutting board with the strings we got.
   5th production and a sequence of soap making activity proved that they practiced the work with much initiative and resource they have, and also showed their ownership for expansion of production. 
they process moringa leaves into powder in Afrasu
AJARA, a leader of Afrasu soap making group
with her last son BABA KETWUA
she is from Upper East, the same age with my MAMY in Japan
she is such a kind and affectionate person...
why can she understand my everything I want to tell them?
though she never understand English...its a miracle
with her husband NANA
first settler, a chief of Afrasu
generous and respectable person 

4 comments:

  1. Where is Afrasu? Ihave not heared of that name here in Ghana. You are really exploring Ghana. Enjoy your stay and stay blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx wprlasi:)
    its a small village in Sunyani, BA, Ghana...
    isolated forest fringe community...
    wish can go to see my people now.

    coz am restin in accra, after admission to the hospita
    but fine now

    I will finish my service and leave ghana soon
    I miss my community, miss my people, miss my friend in sunyani...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is sooo impressive! God bless you! Thank you for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    This looks amazing. I did volunteer work in Ghana 18 months ago and since then I've started my company, Fair Creation. My aim is to import moringa soap to Sweden, supporting women empowerment and doing so in accordance with sustainable development.

    I would love to hear from You.

    Kind Regards
    Miia Lindgren
    miia@faircreation.se

    ReplyDelete